How much is rent (we call it Room, Board, & Dues (RB&D)) and how do I make a payment?
Room, board, and dues (RB&D) rates are determined on an annual basis by the Phi Sigma Kappa Alumni Association of NIU Board of Directors. Please click here to see current rates and/or to make a payment*. We only accept online Check or Credit Card payments. Once a payment is submitted a confirmation email is sent to you and once processed a second email is usually sent. If you have any additional questions regarding RB&D rates please email Operations@PSKaaNIU.org
* If you are having technical issues making an online payment we strongly suggest you try using a different browser in general and for sure not “Google Chrome”. We have been made aware that at times certain browsers may hold information in “memory” and that can causes issues with processing. If you continues to have issues processing your payment after using a different browser please send an email to Operations@PSKaaNIU.org for assistance.
What are the due dates for RB&D?
Room, board, and dues (RB&D) payments are due in full September 1 (Fall semester) and January 1 (Spring semester). We do offer a $50 prepayment discount if the full amount due is paid by July 31 (Fall semester) and November 30 (Spring semester). For example if RB&D is $3000/semester and you are paying on or before July 31 (Fall) and November 30 (Spring) the total amount due would be $2950. Please note if you cannot pay by the prepayment discount deadline 1/3 of your total payment is due approx 20 days prior to the move in date for the Fall semester and approx 20 days prior to move in date for the Spring semester. Invoices are sent out monthly. In addition interest is added monthly to any open balance after September 1 (Fall semester) and January 1 (Spring semester). Finally an additional late fee may be added after December 31 (Fall Semester) and May 31 (Spring Semester) to any open balance originally due for the current semester. For any additional questions regarding RB&D payments please email them to Operations@PSKaaNIU.org.
*** If you are having issues making an online payment we strongly suggest you use a browser other than Google Chrome. We have been made aware that at times this browser may hold information in its “memory” and could causes issues with processing. If you continues to have issues processing your payment after using a different browser please send an email to Operations@PSKaaNIU.org or Payments@PSKaaNIU.org for assistance.
- RB&D due in full September 1st (Fall) and January 1st (Spring)
- $50 discount if paid in full by July 31st (Fall) and November 30th (Spring) – FOR FALL 2020 & SPRING 2021 THE FINAL PAYMENT AMOUNT DUE WILL HAVE A CREDIT ADJUSTMENT FOR QUALIFIED TENANTS THAT HAVE MET ALL TERMS OF AN ADDITIONAL PAYMENT AGREEMENT DOCUMENT THAT WILL BE FORWARDED / HAS BEEN FORWARDED,
- 1/3 of total due approx 20 days before move in (Fall) and approx 20 days before move in (Spring) if you cannot pay amount in full by the prepayment due dates
- Interest added monthly after September 1st (Fall) and January 1st (Spring)
- An additional late fee is added after December 31st (Fall) and May 31st (Spring)
How do I pay RB&D if I am receiving financial aid, grants, and/or student loans?
Every situation may be different when it comes to financial aid, grants, and/or student loans. As a result we do not currently have any programs to deal with this ever changing and unique situation. In general most residents communicate early and often with the various lending institutions to insure how and when funds will be deposited into their accounts and should be prepared to make an immediate payment for RB&D. Once funds are deposited into an account the resident has access to the resident in turn pays RB&D. Our payment due dates and rules remain in place and are applicable whenever payment is made to the PSK Alumni Association.
For example if a payment in full is made on/before September 1 (Fall) and January 1 (Spring) (the required move in date deposit not withstanding), no interest is added. If a payment is made after September 1 (Fall) and January 1 (Spring) interest will be added even if the lending institution delayed payment to the residents account after the due dates for RB&D. Again we strongly encourage every resident receiving financial aid, grants, and/or student loans etc. to communicate early and often with the lending institution(s) to understand their funds distribution process and dates. In ALL cases the minimum amount due needs to be paid BEFORE resident/member is allowed to move in each semester regardless of funding disbursements. A short term “loan” from a loved one (repaid by the resident/member when institutional loans are disbursed) is a route some choose.
How is RB&D determined?
Room, board, and dues (RB&D) is determined on an annual basis by the Phi Sigma Kappa Alumni Association Board of Directors. Great care is taken to keep RB&D costs manageable for our residents. Several factors are included when determining RB&D cost including but not limited to (no particular order) cost of utilities (electricity, water, sewer service, gas), operating expenses, residence hall rates, local apartment rates, dues to the national fraternity, insurance rates, and taxes.
How can I see what my RB&D balance is?
Our bookkeeping service will mail and/or email invoices and statements to the resident’s permanent home address (not NIU campus address). It is the resident’s responsibility to immediately notify the PSK Alumni of any changes to their permanent home address via mail to PO Box 118 DeKalb, IL or via email to Payments@PSKaaNIU.org. We reserve the right to change how we communicate balances owed without notice.
In addition the PSK Alumni Association of NIU will send periodic communication (email, phone, post, and/or text messages) to residents and members noting current balances owed. We do not currently provide information to other interested parties beyond the general membership of the fraternity. If a parent or guardian is interested in receiving information regarding a balance owed it is the resident/member responsibility to provide them with that information.
What will my invoice and statements look like? (PSK Alumni vs. Omega Financial)
The PSK Alumni Association of NIU may send its own invoice and statements. These documents if mailed / emailed clearly have our organizations name on them and only request payments for RB&D. The Alumni may also send you email and/or text notifications of amounts owed. From time to time the undergraduate chapter may send an invoice to your permanent home address for payments it wishes to collect so please don’t be confused. These statements are generated from their billing service Omega Financial and have absolutely nothing to do with the PSK Alumni Association of NIU or RB&D.
Any questions regarding invoices generated by Omega Financial (undergraduate billing service) must be addressed to Fines@pskniu.org or Treasurer@pskniu.org. Again, the PSK Alumni ONLY invoices for RB&D payments for living in the fraternity home and does not have jurisdiction or control of any invoice produced by Omega Financial.
Will my payment affect when I can move into the fraternity house?
ALL PAYMENTS MUST BE APPROVED ON THE WEBSITE TO BE VALID!!!!!! If payment is showing “pending/declined/rejected/etc.” it has not been approved. Approved officers are those officers who have paid in full or at least 1/3 prior to the Aug minimum payment deadline (approx 20 days before the official house move in date) and been cleared with PSK Alumni. The selected officers will be the ones responsible for distribution of keys to members and checking everyone else in. PLEASE NOTE, what we do this year may be subject to change next year.
Paid in full for the up coming semester
1) If you have paid the full amount due and it was received on or before July 31 (with or without discount applied), and payment has been approved, you can move in a day before the official house move in date BUT no sooner than 3 hours after the APPROVED officers have checked in. (usually 1 PM, subject to change)
2) If you have paid the full amount due and it was received between August 1st through the minimum payment deadline, and payment has been approved, you can move in a day before the official house move in date BUT no sooner than 5 hours after the APPROVED officers have checked in. (usually 3 PM, subject to change)
3) If you have paid the full amount due between the minimum payment deadline and 3 days before the official house move in date, and payment has been approved, you can move in the day before the official house move in date BUT no sooner than 7 hours after the APPROVED officers have checked in. (usually 5 PM, subject to change)
Paid at least 1/3
1) If the minimum 1/3 was received on or before the minimum payment deadline (approx 20 days before the official house move in date) and payment has been approved you can move in on the official house move in date NOT BEFORE! (usually at/after 11 AM, subject to change)
2) If you have paid less than 1/3 by the minimum payment deadline but at least 1/3 between the minimum payment deadline and 3 days before the official house move in date, and payment has been approved, you can move in ONE day AFTER the official house move in date NOT BEFORE! (usually at/after 11 AM, subject to change)
3) If you have paid the 1/3 by 3 days before the official house move in date, and payment has been approved, you can move in TWO days AFTER the official house move in date NOT BEFORE!. (usually at/after 11 AM, subject to change)
Paid less than 1/3 on any day
***** Can’t move in at all but are still subject to all terms and conditions of the housing agreement *****
If your appointment may be cancelled or you may be turned away if you show up before your payment status allows you to move in. Do not call. Send any questions in writing to Operations@PSKaaNIU.org only.
* If you are one of the elected symbolic officers (table) or recruitment chairmen ONLY some exemptions to the above move in schedule will apply. However, the minimum 1/3 must be paid/received on or before the minimum payment deadline
Is my payment being used to clear any debt PSK Alumni owes?
No, we are proud to say that we have been debt free since 1991 when our mortgage was paid off. That does not mean we don’t have commitments! Managing a 15,000 plus square foot facility is not an inexpensive proposition. Moreover, we invest significant resources in updating the property to meet the ever changing needs of today’s college student.
For example this past year alone we upgraded/improved the formal living room, all areas of the basement including the chapter room, recreation area, theater room, and study room. Significant life safety and security enhancements were implemented including keyless access card system and 16 security cameras around the property. Additional projects were completed and even more are scheduled to be completed this summer.